How to Apply

Information on the application process, as well as a link to the online application may be found on the Graduate School’s website at


Undergraduate seniors and graduates of accredited U.S. colleges and universities or recognized foreign institutions may apply for admission to the Graduate School. Undergraduates must complete their degree requirements prior to entering the Graduate School.

Whatever their previous academic training may have been, all applicants should have superior records. This requirement is usually interpreted as at least a B average or standing in the upper quarter of the class or both.

Students with Disabilities

Wake Forest University will consider the application of any qualified student, regardless of disability, based on the selection criteria established by the University which includes personal and academic merit. Upon matriculation, all students will be required to meet the same standards for graduation.

The University endeavors to provide facilities which are in compliance with all laws and regulations regarding access for individuals with disabilities. Additionally, special services are available to reasonably accommodate students with disabilities. For more information on assistance for graduate students, please visit the Center for Learning, Access, and Student Success (

Admission Categories

Regular Status in a Degree Program. A person with a superior undergraduate record (at least a B average or upper quarter of the class and with the appropriate courses), satisfactory GRE scores (where required), TOEFL or IELTS scores (for international students), and/or good recommendations may apply for regular admission.

Provisional Status in a Degree Program. Provisional admission may be granted in certain circumstances and is limited to not more than one semester of full-time study or its equivalent in part-time study.

Unclassified Non-Degree Graduate Status. Applicants seeking courses for graduate credit, but not wishing to formally seek a graduate degree, may apply for admission as an unclassified or non-degree seeking student. Applicants are required to complete an application, submit the application fee, meet the immunization requirements, and submit an official transcript showing a baccalaureate degree. Instructor approval is required for each course prior to enrollment.

Classification of Admitted Students

Full-Time Status. A student who devotes full-time effort to a graduate program as outlined by his or her faculty committee with a minimum of 9 semester hours of coursework in fall, spring, and summer terms, including thesis research, is considered a full-time student.

Part-Time Status. A student registered for less than the above amount of coursework is considered a part-time student. Each program will determine whether it is possible to pursue a degree on a part-time basis.

Continuous Enrollment

Degree-seeking students must have continuous enrollment through the semester in which they graduate. Continuous enrollment may be achieved by registering for courses, including research, internship, or project hours, or by registering for Grad Fee. Failure to maintain continuous enrollment may result in a student being administratively withdrawn from the Graduate School.