Students who can demonstrate that they have had the academic equivalent of required courses may petition the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs to substitute advanced elective courses for those requirements. Ordinarily, advanced standing is without credit, exempting certain classes but not reducing the total number of credits required for the degree. Advanced standing with credit cannot be granted on the basis of life or ministerial experience. Advanced standing should account for no more than one quarter of total degree requirements. The Associate Dean of Academic Affairs will forward appropriate petitions to the Curriculum and Academic Policy Committee, which will make a recommendation to the Associate Dean of Academic Affairs for final approval.