The Reynolda Campus of Wake Forest, which opened in the summer of 1956 upon the institution's move from its original home near Raleigh, is situated on approximately 340 acres. Its physical facilities consist of more than 80 buildings, most of which are of modified Georgian architecture and constructed of Old Virginia brick trimmed in granite and limestone.
The main Quadrangle, Hearn Plaza, is named for Wake Forest’s 12th president, Thomas K. Hearn Jr., who served from 1983 to 2005. Manchester Plaza, named for benefactors and Wake Forest parents Doug Manchester (P ’03, P ’06) and Elizabeth Manchester (P ’03, P ’06), is located on south campus. The Reynolda Gardens complex, consisting of about 128 acres and including Reynolda Woods, Reynolda Village, Reynolda Gardens, and Reynolda House and Museum of American Art, is adjacent to the campus. The Graylyn International Conference Center is nearby.
Wait Chapel, named in memory of Samuel Wait, the first president of the College, seats 2,227. The Wait Chapel tower contains the Janet Jeffrey Carlile Harris Carillon, an instrument of 48 bells.
Wingate Hall, named in honor of President Washington Manly Wingate (1849, MA 1854), the fourth president of the College, houses the Department for the Study of Religions and the School of Divinity.
Reynolda Hall, across the upper plaza from Wait Chapel, houses most of the administration, including offices of the President, the Provost, the Dean of the College, the Center for Global Programs and Studies, the Office of Personal and Career Development and the University Chaplain. It is also home of a large dining facility for the Reynolda Campus.
Benson University Center, named for the father of benefactor Clifton Linwood Benson Jr. (’64), houses the Student Union and is the central hub for student activities, services and events. The bottom floor of Benson is the home to Pugh Auditorium movie theater and several food venues, and the LGBTQ Center is located on the second floor.
Z. Smith Reynolds Library and its Edwin Graves Wilson Wing, named in honor of the Class of 1943 graduate who became a distinguished English professor and administrator at his alma mater, house the main collection of books and documents on the Reynolda Campus. Along with eight floors of open stacks, it has reading and reference rooms for study.
Carswell Hall, named in honor of alumnus and benefactor Guy T. Carswell (1922, LLD ’62), houses the Department of Communication and the Annenberg Forum, a large multimedia lecture space.
Winston Hall houses the Department of Biology and Salem Hall is home to the Department of Chemistry. Both buildings have laboratories as well as classrooms and special research facilities. The Olin Physical Laboratory houses the physics department.
Harold W. Tribble Hall, named for Wake Forest's 10th president, accommodates primarily humanities departments. It has seminar rooms, a philosophy library and a multimedia lecture space, DeTamble Auditorium.
The Museum of Anthropology houses the Department of Anthropology and North Carolina’s only museum dedicated to the study of world cultures.
Calloway Center for Mathematics and Computer Science was named in honor of former University Trustee Wayne Calloway ('59, LLD ’88, P '95). The building houses the Departments of Mathematics and Statistics and Computer Science in Manchester Hall and the Departments of Politics and International Affairs, Economics and Sociology in Kirby Hall.
Farrell Hall, named for Wake Forest parents and benefactors Michael (LLD ’13, P ’10) and Mary (P ’10) Farrell, broke ground in April 2011 and is home to the School of Business. It hosted its first classes in July 2013 and was formally dedicated in November 2013.
William B. Greene Jr. Hall, named for alumnus and benefactor Bill Greene ('59), houses the Departments of Psychology, German and Russian, and Romance Languages.
James R. Scales Fine Arts Center, named for James Ralph Scales, Wake Forest's 11th president, supports the functions of studio art, theatre, musical and dance performances and instruction in art history, drama and music. Off its main lobby is the Charlotte and Philip Hanes Gallery, a facility for special exhibitions. The art wing includes spacious studios for drawing, painting, sculpture and printmaking, along with a smaller gallery and classrooms. Adjacent to the art wing is a dance studio for performances and rehearsals. The theatre wing has design and production areas and two technically complete theatres, the larger of traditional design and the smaller for ring productions. The music wing contains classrooms, practice rooms for individuals and groups, the offices of the Department of Music and Brendle Recital Hall for concerts and lectures.
Worrell Professional Center, named for alumnus and benefactor T. Eugene Worrell ('40, LHD ’79), houses the School of Law. Recent additions to Worrell in 2016 provided a new home for instruction in the Department of Health and Exercise Science.
The ROTC Building is home to the Wake Forest Reserve Officers Training Corps program and military science studies.
Wake Forest Wellbeing Center, comprised of the Sutton Center and the Historic W.N. Reynolds Gymnasium, was reimagined and officially dedicated in 2018. The Sutton Center, named for alumnus and benefactor Ben Sutton ('80, JD '83, P '14, P '16, P '19), provides a large venue for wellbeing, social and academic gatherings; and Historic W.N. Reynolds Gymnasium, named for a prominent member of the family that helped bring the campus to Winston-Salem, has courts for indoor sports, a swimming pool and Student Health Services.
Wake Forest is home to outstanding athletics facilities designed to enhance the health, wellbeing and competitive excellence of all Demon Deacon teams.
Adjacent to the Wellbeing Center are Kentner Stadium, Manchester Athletic Center and the Kenneth D. Miller Center, all of which are named for University benefactors. Kentner is home to the Demon Deacon field hockey team and the Manchester and Miller Centers house athletics administration.
The newest facilities on campus opened in September 2019. The Sutton Sports Performance Center, also named for Ben Sutton, and the Shah Basketball Performance Center, honoring benefactor and alumnus Mit Shah ('91), are dedicated to the strength, conditioning, sport-specific practice and nutrition of student-athletes.
Spry Stadium, home of Wake Forest men's and women's soccer, is situated across from North Campus housing. Named for the father of benefactor William D. Spry, Jr. (P '97), the facility is one of the best in the country.
McCreary Field House, named for alumnus and benefactor Bob McCreary ('61), opened in 2016, providing indoor practice facilities and weightlifting for all of Wake Forest's intercollegiate sports teams.
The Arnold Palmer Golf Complex, named in honor of alumnus, benefactor and Life Trustee Arnold Palmer ('51, LLD '70), includes the Dianne Dailey Golf Learning Center, which opened in 2010 and is named for the coach who led the women's golf program for 3o years, and the Haddock Golf Center, completed in 2016 and named for Jesse Haddock ('52, P '68), who coached the Deacons to three NCAA championships in his 32 years of service.
The three largest athletics venues are located 1.3 miles off the Reynolda Campus. BB&T Field is the home of the football team; basketball teams play in Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum, named after a decorated Vietnam War veteran from Winston-Salem; and baseball's home is David F. Couch Ballpark, named a 1984 graduate and benefactor.
Alumni Hall houses University Advancement, the University Police Department and the Department of Parking and Transportation.
Porter B. Byrum Welcome Center, named for alumnus and benefactor Porter B. Byrum (JD '42), is at the entrance to Wake Forest. The building allows prospective students and their families an opportunity to learn more about the University and to meet with admissions staff.
The Barn, built to resemble a North Carolina farm barn, offers opportunities for concerts, performances and other on-campus events.
The Wake Forest campus has a wide variety of housing options available to students in residence halls named for alumni, faculty, benefactors and Wake Forest presidents: Babcock Hall, Bostwick Hall, Collins Hall, Davis Hall, Efird Hall, Huffman Hall, Johnson Hall, Kitchin Hall, Luter Hall, Martin Hall, North Campus Apartments, Palmer Hall, Piccolo Hall, Polo Hall, Poteat Hall, Student Apartments, South Hall and Taylor Hall. Dogwood and Magnolia Residence Halls opened in August 2013 and are coeducational by floor, wing or apartment. In January 2014, the North Dining facilities opened adjacent to the new residence halls providing alternative dining options to the north side of campus. In January 2017, Maya Angelou Residence Hall, named in honor of the distinguished Wake Forest faculty member and internationally acclaimed poet, opened. It is also home to the Office of Residence Life and Housing as well as the Deacon OneCard Office.
In January 2017, converted tobacco warehouses became the home of new degree programs in biomedical sciences and engineering. Known as Wake Downtown, this academic extension is located a 13-minute shuttle ride from the Reynolda Campus. That same year, the University opened Wake Washington, a home of academic operations on DuPont Circle in Washington, D.C.
Wake Forest is the only Top-30 national university to own academic-residential houses in three foreign countries. The University purchased Casa Artom, located on the Grand Canal in Venice and named for beloved medical school professor Dr. Camillo Artom, in 1974. Three years later, it acquired a London facility and named it Worrell House in honor of benefactor T. Eugene Worrell (’40, LHD ’79) and his wife, Anne Worrell. And in 1998, Flow House, located in Vienna and named in honor of alumnus, benefactor and Life Trustee Victor I. Flow (’52, P ’83) and his wife, Roddy Flow (P ’83), became part of the Wake Forest family.