Candidates for admission must furnish evidence of maturity and educational achievement. The Committee on Admissions carefully considers the applicant’s academic records, scores on any submitted standardized tests, written portion of the application, and evidence of character, motivation, goals, and general fitness for study in the College. The applicant’s secondary school program must establish a commitment to the kind of broad liberal education reflected in the academic requirements of the College.

Admission as a first-year student normally requires graduation from an accredited secondary school with a minimum of 16 units of high school credit. These should include 4 units in English, 3 in mathematics, 2 in history and social studies, 2 in a single foreign language, and 1 in the natural sciences. An applicant who presents at least 12 units of differently distributed college preparatory study can be considered. Homeschooled students submitting all required documentation of the application will be considered.  Additional documentation outlining the homeschool curriculum, including transcripts from courses taken outside the home and Advanced Placement or other standardized test scores are welcomed. A limited number of applicants may be admitted without the high school diploma, with particular attention given to ability, maturity, and motivation.


An application is secured from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions in person, online, or by mail:

P.O. Box 7305
Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27109-7305

It should be completed and returned to that office no later than January 1 for the fall semester. Most admissions decisions for the fall semester are made by April 1, with prompt notification of applicants. For the spring semester, applications should be completed and returned no later than November 15.

The admission application requires records and recommendations directly from secondary school officials. Submission of standardized test scores is optional. If submitting scores, they should be sent directly to the University by the official testing service. A nonrefundable $65 fee to cover the cost of processing must accompany an application. It cannot be applied to later charges for accepted students or refunded for others. The University reserves the right to reject any application without explanation.

A $500 nonrefundable admission deposit is required of all regularly admitted students and must be sent to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions no later than May 1 following notice of acceptance. It is credited toward first semester fees and is nonrefundable. Students notified of acceptance after May 1 for the fall semester or November 1 for the spring semester should make a nonrefundable admission deposit within two weeks of notification. Failure to make the admission deposit is taken as cancellation of application by the student. No deposit is required for summer session enrollment.

Early Decision

Wake Forest has two binding early decision plans for students who have decided conclusively that Wake Forest is their first college choice. While early decision applicants may submit regular decision applications to other institutions, Wake Forest must be the applicant’s first choice and only early decision application. Students, parents, and school counselors must sign the Early Decision Agreement stating that the applicant will enroll if admitted and will withdraw all applications to other colleges upon acceptance to Wake Forest.

Early Decision I (ED I) students may apply after completion of the junior year but no later than November 15. ED I applicants are notified on a rolling basis, typically six to eight weeks after the application is completed.

Early Decision II (ED II) applicants must follow the same exclusivity guidelines as required for ED I. The ED II application deadline is January 1. ED II is not rolling; decisions are released in mid-February.

A $500 enrollment deposit is due within two weeks of acceptance notification for both ED I and ED II.

Admission of Students with Disabilities

Wake Forest College will consider the application of any qualified student, regardless of disability, on the basis of the selection criteria established by the University which include personal and academic merit. Upon matriculation, all students will be required to meet the same standards for graduation.

The University endeavors to provide facilities which are in compliance with all laws and regulations regarding access for individuals with disabilities. Additionally, special services are available to reasonably accommodate students with disabilities. For more information on assistance for undergraduate students, please contact the director of the Learning Assistance Center, at 336-758-5929 or refer to Disability Services under Campus Life on the Wake Forest website.

Admission of Transfer Students

The number of transfer students who can be admitted each year depends upon the availability of space in the first-year (second semester), sophomore, and junior classes. Transfer students must be eligible for readmission to the last college attended and must supply a Dean’s Statement(s) from all colleges attended. The Dean’s Statement addresses any disciplinary action that may have been taken against the student for academic or non-academic reasons. The student must have an overall average of at least C on all college work attempted.

Courses satisfactorily completed in other accredited colleges are accepted subject to faculty approval. In general, no credit is allowed for courses not found in the Wake Forest curriculum. To earn a baccalaureate degree from Wake Forest University, a minimum of half of the degree requirements must be completed at Wake Forest, the senior year and one other.

Additionally, Wake Forest has a six-semester (typically three-year) residency requirement and is one of the few universities in the country that guarantees housing to students in good standing for eight semesters. Students are required to live in campus housing their first three years unless they live with a parent or guardian in the Winston-Salem area. Students who study abroad during the fall or spring semesters are given credit for that time toward their residency requirement; summer sessions do NOT count toward residency requirements. Transfer students are expected to fulfill the six-semester residency requirement. However, transfer students who have lived on campus at another institution are given credit for that time toward their residency requirement. See “Housing” for more information.